The M.A. in English is designed for students pursuing advanced English studies, and students may choose to focus their course work in either literature or writing and rhetoric. The M.A. in English with a research concentration is designed for students pursuing advanced English studies with an emphasis on research, criticism and methodology.Student learning outcomes:
- Develop advanced reading and writing skills
- Engage in theoretical and/or textual/bibliographical scholarship
- Conduct original research and advance an original argument under faculty direction
- Explain and defend original research in a formal presentation or defense
- Survey the professional and academic work to which the degree leads
- Children's Literature
- Applied English Linguistics
- Studies in Linguistics
- Young Adult Literature
- Cultural Discourses
- Texts and Contexts
- Form and Theory of Poetry
- Film and Television Scripts
- Writing Nonfiction
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Educational Research View 919 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- Application to graduate study, including the application for Virginia in-state tuition.
- Personal statement submitted with the online application.
- $70 application fee.
- Three reference letters submitted through the online application.
- Transcripts from each institution you attended are required.
- Official test scores, if required by your program.
- Your resume, if requested by the department to which you are applying.
International27971 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27971 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National14497 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14497 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.