Graduates will be particularly well-suited for positions requiring modeling skills and substantial experience in the analysis and interpretation of firm-level, industry or macroeconomic data. A unique feature of the program is a three-course core sequence in applied econometrics. These courses emphasize the application of modeling techniques and data analysis though the introduction of cases and projects. Through these courses, students acquire a working knowledge of up-to-date powerful statistical software and broad experience in working with a variety of real data sets. The concentration in health economics will allow students with particular interest in the health sector and in health policy issues to specialize in health economics, a topic currently quite relevant.
Graduates of the Economics (Concentration in Health Economics) program at Virginia Commonwealth University, in addition to holding highly competitive terminal credentials as analysts, will find the program to be an outstanding bridge to doctoral work in programs such as the Ph.D. in Healthcare Policy and Research offered in the School of Medicine at VCU.
Student learning outcomes
- Students will be able to use a standard macroeconomic model to analyze the impact of a policy action on major macroeconomic variables.
- Students will be able to use advanced microeconomic models to analyze the behavior of consumers and firms and the impact of public policy on economic welfare.
- Students will understand the properties of the Ordinary Least Squares estimator under different assumptions about the data generating process encountered in economics.
- Students will understand circumstances in which estimation of an econometric time series model is appropriate.
- Students will understand the application of models appropriate for the analysis of limited dependent variables encountered in economics.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Calculus with Analytic Geometry
- Mathematical Economics
- Advanced Microeconomic Theory
- Advanced Macroeconomic Theory
- Econometric Time-series Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Health Sciences View 435 other Masters in Economics in United States
- Personal statement
- Academic documentation
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional academic requirements and regulations
- Foreign transcripts
- Financial certification
- Application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.