The Economics program at Virginia Commonwealth University is also excellent preparation for entering a doctoral program in economics or finance. Effective Fall 2019, this program is classified as STEM.
The program consists of a six-course core focused on state-of-the-art modeling and data analytic skills. Specialize in one of our pre-designed concentrations or customize your own program with the remaining four courses:
- Financial economics: Develop expertise in financial markets.
- Health economics: Focus on health systems and policy.
- Statistics: Choose a data-analytic intensive course of study.
- General option: Work with a faculty adviser to structure a program of study tailored to your interests and career goals.
The degree can be completed on a full- or part-time basis. The M.A. in economics is an evening program. Some concentrations may require daytime courses.
Careers in the field:
- Risk analysts
- Public policy analysts
- Financial managers
- Data scientists
- Economic analysts
- Advanced Microeconomic Theory
- Advanced Macroeconomic Theory
- Mathematical Economics
- Financial Markets
- Econometric Time-series Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Finance Econometrics View 700 other Masters in Economics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Virginia Commonwealth University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- The applicant must provide a personal statement discussing reasons for pursuing graduate study
- All applicants must present grades (marks) that reflect superior ability and serious effort
- All non-native English-speaking applicants must provide evidence of English language proficiency
- Individual departments or schools may have special requirements such as the Graduate Record Examination or Graduate Management Admission Test
- Prospective students who have studied outside of the U.S. must provide an official course-by-course external credential evaluation as a required part of the admission process
- Proof of adequate funds to live and study full time at VCU by submitting an I-20 DS Request Form accompanied by an original bank verification letter
- A $70 state-required application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.