The primary areas of study are poetry and fiction, and admission is highly competitive. In addition to the poetry and fiction workshops, there are courses available that focus on writing drama, nonfiction and screenplays, as well as courses that provide practical experience in editing.
Student learning outcomes
Students in the Creative Writing (Concentration in Poetry) program from Virginia Commonwealth University will:
- Develop and refine their individual writerly voices, produce literary work of a high quality and demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of their own aesthetics, as well as the literary models and cultural sources of those aesthetics
- Actively engage in a wider literary culture and community at the local, regional, national or international level
- Develop constructive workshop practices and demonstrate the ability to read closely and respond perceptively and critically to the writing of their fellow M.F.A. students
- Develop an advanced comprehension of editing and revision techniques and strategies, which include synthesizing challenges, advice and critiques from professors and fellow M.F.A. students
- Develop, hone and articulate a keen sense of their artistic and career goals
Student learning outcomes specific to poetry
- Demonstrate a skillful use or knowledge of major poetic devices, such as metaphor, imagery, lineation, persona, types of rhythm, rhyme and other sonic effect.
- Demonstrate the use or knowledge of classic poetic forms, such as the sonnet, the ode and the elegy, as well as other contemporary, experimental or avant-garde forms.
- In a statement of purpose or aesthetics that is part of their thesis manuscript, as well as in an exit interview/ thesis defense, appraise and locate their own work within literary and cultural contexts
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Children's Literature
- Studies in British Literature and Culture
- Special Topics in American Literature and Culture
- Young Adult Literature
- Introduction to Scholarship in English Studies
- Literary Criticism
- Cultural Discourses
- Texts and Contexts
- Form and Theory of Poetry
- Form and Theory of Fiction
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Jan 15 for consideration of assistantship
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 279 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- Personal statement
- Academic documentation
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional academic requirements and regulations
- Foreign transcripts
- Financial certification
- Application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 24 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.