Our school counseling concentration of the M.Ed. program prepares graduates to be critically reflective, with a professional understanding of basic counseling theory and practice, competencies in essential counseling services, the ability evaluate evidence-based research and implement it in practice, and a dedication to continuing professional development.
For students who already have a master’s degree in education, the 36 credit hours of program core courses in the school counseling concentration also will lead to recommendation for licensure as a school counselor. Students who wish to gain this licensure must meet with the department chair and file a plan of study.
Please keep in mind, however, that the exact course requirements may vary depending on when you matriculated into the program, so please consult your adviser or the program coordinator with any additional questions.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Professional Orientation and Ethical Practice in Counseling
- Theories of Counseling
- Techniques of Counseling
- Group Procedures in Counseling
- Practicum: School Counseling
- Career Information and Exploration
- Assessment Techniques for Counselors
- Multicultural Counseling in Educational Settings
- Seminar in Counseling
- Data-driven Comprehensive School Counseling Programs
- School Counseling Services
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesEducation Counselling View 897 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- VCU Graduate School requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate discipline
- Written essay addressing your career interests
- Three letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from previous academic work
- At least a 3.0 GPA on last 60 hours of coursework
- GRE score of 290 or higher, or MAT score of 386 or higher
- A personal interview may be requested
International27971 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27971 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National14497 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14497 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.