The Counselor Education with a concentration in school counseling program at Virginia Commonwealth University leads to school counseling licensure and preparation for advanced graduate work at the post-master’s level. The program requires a minimum of two years of study to complete.
The faculty makes every effort to assist students in individualizing a graduate program to match their professional needs and interests. However, individualization takes place in an environment of legitimate constraints revolving around institutional, accreditation and licensure requirements. Faculty members view each program as more than simply an aggregate of courses, and students should plan all program work with their faculty advisers.
Student learning outcomes
- Students will obtain theoretical knowledge grounded in research and reflective of current national and state standards in the areas of individual and group counseling, human development, multicultural counseling, wellness, and career counseling.
- Students will develop the skills and knowledge to support and enhance students’ and clients’ resiliency from a multicultural framework.
- Students will demonstrate the knowledge and skills to be critical consumers of research in their roles as counselors.
- Students will develop and demonstrate advocacy, social justice and leadership skills through their professional development and extracurricular learning activities.
- Students will continue their personal and professional development by adhering to the professional ethical codes of professional counseling organizations and the counselor education program dispositions.
- Students will demonstrate competency in counseling, assessment, program evaluation and consultation skills in K-12 school settings.
- Professional Orientation and Ethical Practice in Counseling
- Theories of Counseling
- Techniques of Counseling
- Data-driven Comprehensive School Counseling Programs
- School Counseling Services
- Democracy, Equity and Ethics in Education
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation School Counselling Educational Psychology View 515 other Masters in Educational Psychology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three letters of recommendation addressing the student’s potential for graduate study in education
- Statement of intent
- Transcripts of all previous college work
- Personal interview
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 24 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.