From mental health support services to housing and homelessness, youth offending, and drug abuse, this Health and Community Development Studies course at De Montfort University attracts professionals with expertise in diverse health and community settings.
Our core modules will give you an insight into the theories and practices of community development, introducing key concepts in practice, policy and National Occupation Standards. You will explore this in relation to issues surrounding health and wellbeing and discover new strategies and methods of social science research.
You can then expand your expertise in areas that interest you most, with modules covering topics in mental health, contemporary social issues, youth and community development, anti-oppressive practice, race and diversity, and management of services and people.
You may wish to learn about non-clinical health and wellbeing, health education, or development projects focusing on a social model of health and wellbeing. The content of this programme is also relevant for those wishing to explore social health and community provision in developing countries.
Ideal candidates will have an interest in group work, informal learning and activity, and outreach and community work, particularly with young people and adults identified as ‘hard to reach’ and ‘excluded’.
Your studies will benefit from a flexible blended learning approach, where the majority of modules are taught via distance learning with two block teaching weeks per academic year.
Many of our graduates work in a wide range of senior posts in community health, youth work and community development work in both public and voluntary organisations, all over the world.
An MA is a recommended qualification for workers who want to hold senior positions. The MA is recognised internationally as a valid postgraduate level of study and its content is relevant for issues relating to a developing country’s health and community provision.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theory and Practice of Community Development
- Issues of Health and Well-being
- Health and Social Research Methods
- Mental Health
- Contemporary Social Issues
- Global Issues in Youth and Community Development
- Managing Race and Diversity
- Anti-oppressive Practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
It is important that you send your application as soon as possible.
- MA/MSc/LLM/MBA (180 credits at level 7)
- Postgraduate Diploma (120 credits at level 7)
- Postgraduate Certificate (60 credits at level 7)
DisciplinesSociology Sustainable Development Health Sciences View 26 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Demonstration of ability to work at master’s level which can be achieved through having a first degree, normally at 2:2 or above, or by having a range of academic and work experience
- You are normally expected to have a professional qualification in an area related to work
- You must be engaged in at least four hours’ appropriate work, paid or unpaid, per week
- A commitment to anti-oppressive practice
- Relevant and significant health oriented work experience
- Proven ability to reflect on practice, critically examine concepts of informal education and justice, awareness of social welfare needs in a youth and community development context.
- You will need to provide written answers to interview questions or participate in a telephone interview.
You should also normally have:
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14600 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA5550 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5550 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- EU/EEA - Part-time fees will be £442 per 15 credit module.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.