The Costume Design program at Florida State University is designed to give students the skills they need to continue their growth as costume designers in the American theatre.
Students graduate with an in-depth knowledge of all aspects of costume design for the stage. Design work in opera, dance, and film is also explored. Costume technology is stressed as well, including skills in millinery, fabric modification, costume crafts, and patterning.
Each MFA Costume Design student will design at least three productions while at FSU. A portfolio of executed designs is required for graduation. In addition to applying to the program, students must also apply to Florida State University.
- Advanced Costume Design
- Dance Costume Design and Film and TV Costume Design
- Costume Technology Classes
- Textiles – fibers and fabric identification and knowledge of weaves
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Auditionees will submit a recorded video for general audition. The video submission is due August 28. Late submissions will not be accepted.
DisciplinesDesign Theatre & Dance View 611 other Masters in Design in United States
Admission Requirements for MFA Programs
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre from an accredited college or university. (Students who do not hold a Theatre degree must show evidence of substantial course work and/or experience in theatre to indicate probability of achieving success in advanced theatre studies)
- A grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) during the last two years of study for a bachelor’s degree or of 3.0 on a masters degree from an accredited university; OR an acceptable score on the combined verbal and quantitative portions of the Graduate Record Examination taken within the last 5 years
- Specific approval of the faculty and program director within the School of Theatre
International33300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1110 USD per credit during 36 months.
National33300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1110 USD per credit during 36 months.
In-State14370 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 479 USD per credit during 36 months.
Living costs for Tallahassee
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.