The International Finance and Development programme at SOAS University of London is unique in Britain and draws on the specific strengths of SOAS, namely in development economics, political economy and area specialization. It also draws on the international reputations of SOAS specifically in the political economy of finance.
A postgraduate degree in Finance and Development from SOAS equips students with a range of important skills to continue in the field of research as well as a portfolio of widely transferable employability skills valued by a wide range of employers.
These include numeracy, analytical thinking and general skills such as organization and effective communication skills. Graduates will develop their regional expertise and understanding of issues of development and the international financial market. In addition, the study of Economics gives students particular problem-solving skills including abstraction, analysis, quantification, strategic thinking, and adaptability.
Graduates are expected to follow successful careers in the private sector, in national policymaking in developing countries, in international development agencies and in a range of non-governmental organizations. Continuing a SOAS tradition, they are also expected to be successful in gaining a highly competitive Overseas Development Institute (ODI) fellowships.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Financial systems and Economic Development
- International Finance
- Theory of financial institutions & policy
- Statistical Research Techniques
- Dissertation for MSc Finance and Development
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesInternational Relations Finance International Development View 420 other Masters in International Relations in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- We will consider all applications with 2: ii (or international equivalent) or higher in Economics or a joint degree containing Economics PLUS work experience in financial markets and development. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references. All students must complete the Preliminary Mathematics and Statistics module which is taught over three weeks in August/September.
- We understand that the coronavirus has had an impact on the ability of students from many regions to take the IELTS, TOEFL and PTE Academic test, as test centres have been closed. We therefore will be accepting the Duolingo, the LanguageCert and the TOEFL IBT At Home online tests from all International and European applicants for the September 2020 intake.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21750 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA12720 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12720 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Part Time 2 Years:
- EU/UK: £6,360/year
- Overseas: £10,875/year
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.