Professors guide students in their study of wave motions, tides, currents, salinity and temperature of the oceans and how those properties influence weather and climate.
Other avenues of study involve the transmission of light and sound through water and the ocean's interactions with its boundaries at the seafloor and the coast.
Physical Oceanography at Florida State University requires a basic understanding of geophysical fluid dynamics (the study of fluid motion on a rotating sphere), classical physics, and applied mathematics.
Programme StructureResearch Highlights:
- where does red tide in the Northern Gulf of Mexico originate
- understanding and predicting El Nino and the Southern Oscillation
- decadal and longer climate change
- coastal fisheries and coastal ocean climate variability
- understanding the dynamics of the ocean at scales from 100 km to 10,000 km, or equivalently from the deformation scale to the basin scale
- dynamics of eddies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Geography View 595 other Masters in Physics in United States
To complete the process in the Office of Admissions, applicants must submit the following:
- An official transcript from each college or university attended.
- Official nationally standardized graduate admission test scores.
- The residency form, if applicable.
- Submit official English Proficiency Test Scores if your native language is not English.
- Determine if the major/program of interest has a different application deadline and/or additional major/program criteria, e.g., research interests, letters of recommendation, personal statement, interviews/portfolios/auditions, or other factors specified by the program.
International36630 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1110 USD per credit during 12 months.
National36630 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1110 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State15807 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 479 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Tallahassee
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.