Characteristics of the study
The master degree project of the Biotechnology programme of the University of Silesia in Katowice is closely related to the research profile of supervisor who is chosen by a student within the specialisation. The choice of specialisation takes place during registration. Under the supervisor tuition, the student improves his/her skills - posing scientific questions and finding solutions to various problems linked with plant and environmental biotechnology, hence actively participates in the development of science.
Students of Plant Biotechnology specialisation acquire reliable and up-to-date knowledge of molecular basis of biotechnological processes supporting the methods of plant production for modern agriculture and other industries (e.g. food, manufacturing and pharmaceutical industry).
Students of Environmental Biotechnology specialisation acquire the current knowledge that enables them to apply specific biotechnological methods and techniques based on the utilization of microorganisms and their enzymes in modification and improvement of biological processes in various environments.
Additional important information for candidates:
In accordance with the assumptions of National Qualifications Framework, the study programme is described according to the ECTS enabling international exchange of students and offering a chance of further studies or employment in foreign research institutions. Especially talented students are offered an individual path of study under appointed tutor supervision. They can also broaden their knowledge by participating in student research clubs.
The study programme has been accepted by the Polish Accreditation Committee.
Specialist skills of the graduates refer to handling advanced equipment of biotechnological laboratory as well as applying basic and advanced techniques in plant and environmental biotechnology. The graduates possess the knowledge and practical skills enabling them to take up a job in the developing sector of modern agriculture, environmental and diagnostic laboratories as well as in research and development institutions.
- research institutions
- industrial plants applying biotechnological methods
- pharmaceutical, food, agriculture industry (production, distribution, control)
- waste-water and ground treatment plants
- centers of solid waste processing
- plant breeding stations
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Each student acquires advanced knowledge on such disciplines as bioinformatics, bioethics, plant and microbial biotechnology. An important and obligatory element of the education is the introduction to modern information technologies and statistical methods in natural sciences. The number of facultative modules enables students to individualize the course of their studies according to their personal interests and selected specialization.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Learning outcomes expected to be presented by a candidate:
A prerequisite for a candidate who wishes to apply for the admission to the second-cycle studies in English is to submit a certificate (e.g. FCE Cambridge, TOEFEL) proving the knowledge of English, otherwise the English language skills of a candidate are evaluated during interview with the English Recruitment Board.
A candidate is expected to present the knowledge, qualifications and skills acquired at first-cycle, second cycle-studies or a uniform MSc studies related with natural sciences; especially a candidate should:
- be familiar with basic concepts and terminology related with natural sciences
- define and interpret the basic natural phenomena and processes
- be able to apply the basic techniques and research used in natural sciences
- present knowledge in maths, physics and chemistry necessary to understand the basic natural phenomena and processes
- No tuition fees for national students.
- Tuition fees to be announced for international students.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.