About the Program
The Biochemistry program at Virginia Commonwealth University which students may complete on a part-time or full-time basis, involves approximately two years of coursework and a research project performed under the supervision of a faculty advisor. Upon entering the program, students progress through the following timeline:
- Consult with faculty and the program director and choose an advisor
- Select a graduate advisory committee, who will assist in course and thesis planning
- Choose a thesis project by the end of the first semester
- Begin conducting supervised research in the advisor’s laboratory
- Upon completion of the research project, write and submit a thesis
- Pass a final exam in the form of an oral thesis defense, conducted by the graduate advisory committee
Become biochemistry researchers
This program is designed to provide students with the skills required to advance to positions as bioscience researchers and trainers across a broad spectrum of positions. This provides a framework for the progressive development of a mastery of the current state of the subject matter of biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, an ability to synthesize this information and apply this foundation to the identification of key areas of investigation and experimentation in bioscience.The program relates the above framework to the development of the ability to design, implement and interpret experimental approaches that address the questions identified. Students will also develop skills in the various means of communicating both the core of bioscience knowledge and the expression of experimental design, results and interpretation to a variety of potential audiences.
- Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Critical Thinking
- Biochemistry Seminar
- Laboratory Safety
- Cellular Signalling
- Scientific Integrity/Responsible Scientific Discovery/Responsible Conduct of Research
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Applications accepted through June; priority given to early applications
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biochemistry View 1177 other Masters in Biology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The applicant must provide a personal statement discussing reasons for pursuing graduate study
- All applicants must present grades (marks) that reflect superior ability and serious effort
- All non-native English-speaking applicants must provide evidence of English language proficiency
- Individual departments or schools may have special requirements such as the Graduate Record Examination or Graduate Management Admission Test
- Prospective students who have studied outside of the U.S. must provide an official course-by-course external credential evaluation as a required part of the admission process
- Proof of adequate funds to live and study full time at VCU by submitting an I-20 DS Request Form accompanied by an original bank verification letter
- A $70 state-required application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 24 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.