The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology has research efforts of international stature in several areas, including cellular and molecular signaling, tumor biology, structural biology, eukaryotic molecular biology, lipid and membrane biochemistry and molecular genetics, using state-of-the-art approaches in enzymology, genomics, proteomics and lipidomics.
While emphasizing independent research in biochemistry and molecular biology and training in the responsible conduct of research, the program also provides a background of courses designed to match the needs and interests of each student. The program is designed to provide students with the skills required to advance to positions as bioscience researchers/trainers in a broad spectrum of positions. The program provides a framework for the progressive development of a mastery of the current state of the subject matter of biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, as well as an ability to synthesize this information and apply this foundation to the identification of key areas of investigation and experimentation in bioscience.
The Biochemistry program at Virginia Commonwealth University relates the above framework to the development of the ability to design, implement and interpret experimental approaches which address the questions identified. In addition, the program will develop skills in the various means of communicating both the core of bioscience knowledge and the expression of experimental design, results and interpretation to a variety of potential audiences.
Student learning outcomes
- Experimental design: Degree candidates will demonstrate the achievement of an appropriate level of competence in the ability to appraise, modify and/or create, and implement experimental protocols and to design and develop experiments.
- Oral communication skills: Degree candidates will demonstrate the achievement of an appropriate level of oral communication skills with respect to the content, organization, logical flow, presentation and appropriate use of language incorporating the use of visual aids.
- Written communication skills: Degree candidates will demonstrate the achievement of an appropriate level of written communication skill with respect to grammar, syntax, spelling and use of vocabulary to effectively present information including the use of figures, tables and citations.
- General knowledge of science: Degree candidates will demonstrate an appropriate level of knowledge of the current elements of the biosciences as related to disciplinary specialization and a more detailed understanding of the individual area of scholarship, including an appropriate familiarity with the research literature and the ability to evaluate and critique publications.
- Problem-solving skills: Degree candidates will demonstrate an appropriate level of skill in the identification and selection of meaningful problems to be addressed in bioscience research, including the ability to defend said identifications and to design and develop appropriate methods to solve said problems.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biochemistry Journal Club
- Critical Thinking
- Laboratory Safety
- Cellular Signalling
- Experimental Biochemistry
- Directed Research in Biochemistry
- Scientific Integrity
- Responsible Scientific Conduct
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Applications accepted through June; priority given to early applications
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Genetics View 474 other Masters in Genetics in United States
- Personal statement
- Academic documentation
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional academic requirements and regulations
- Foreign transcripts
- Financial certification
- Application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.