The curriculum of the Art History (Concentration in Museum Studies) program at Virginia Commonwealth University provide students with a general background in the research methods and teachings of art history in preparation for careers in museums, collections care or arts organizations. It also prepares students for the more rigorous research demands of the Ph.D., which is the required degree for academic and curatorial careers.
Student learning outcomes
- Students apply critical and analytical concepts, frameworks and methods.
- Students contextualize scholarship in relationship to existing art historical/museological knowledge, discourse and/or debate.
- Students demonstrate ability to translate art historical scholarship written in a language or languages relevant to their research.
- Students conduct scholarly inquiry that makes a scholarly professional contribution.
VCU Graduate Bulletin, VCU Graduate School and general academic policies and regulations for all graduate students in all graduate programs
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Museum Collections
- Historiography and Methodology of Art History
- Writing Seminar
- Art and Representation
- Art History
- Art History and Pedagogy
- Early Modern Art
- 19th-century Art
- 20th-century Art
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArt History Museum Studies View 65 other Masters in Museum Studies in United States
- Personal statement
- Academic documentation
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional academic requirements and regulations
- Foreign transcripts
- Financial certification
- Application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.