The M.A. curriculum concentrations provide students with a general background in the research methods and teachings of art history in preparation for careers in museums, collections care or arts organizations. It also prepares students for the more rigorous research demands of the Ph.D., which is the required degree for academic and curatorial careers.
Student learning outcomes:
- Students apply critical and analytical concepts, frameworks and methods.
- Students contextualize scholarship in relationship to existing art historical/museological knowledge, discourse and/or debate.
- Students write effectively for audiences of scholarly and non-specialist readers.
- Students speak effectively to scholarly and non-specialist audiences.
- Students demonstrate ability to translate art historical scholarship written in a language or languages relevant to their research.
- Students conduct scholarly inquiry that makes a scholarly professional contribution.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Historiography and Methodology of Art History
- Art History and Pedagogy
- Writing Seminar
- Museum Collections
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesArt History View 210 other Masters in Art History in United States
- Application to graduate study, including the application for Virginia in-state tuition.
- Personal statement submitted with the online application.
- $70 application fee.
- Three reference letters submitted through the online application.
- Transcripts from each institution you attended are required.
- Official test scores, if required by your program.
- Your resume, if requested by the department to which you are applying.
- Writing sample
International27971 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27971 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National14497 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14497 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.