About the Program
The Art History - Historical Studies program at Virginia Commonwealth University provides a general background in the research methods and teachings of art history and equips students for careers in arts and cultural institutions that require an MA degree. Additionally, this concentration prepares students for the more rigorous research demands of the PhD, which is the required degree for academic and many curatorial careers.The historical studies concentration
- requires 5 core classes: art historiography, museum collections, a seminar in art and representation, and two writing seminars
- includes 5 additional art history seminars and elective options
- culminates in submission of a qualifying paper completed in consultation with a faculty advisor
The degree can be completed in 2 years (four semesters)—with full-time enrollment in three semesters and part-time enrollment in the fourth semester. Part-time enrollment is also an option, typically with degree completion in 3 years. Some students, both part-time and full-time opt to enroll in non-required electives either in art history, museum studies, non-profit management, or other departments relevant to a student’s interests and professional goals.
In the first semester, students complete the required course in art historiography and methodology, which provides an essential foundation for embarking upon research relevant to the current state of a chosen area of study. They complete the required museum collections and art & representation seminars in either the first or second year. During the third semester, students enroll in the first required writing seminar, which immerses them in the process of preparing work for scholarly publication (including issues of copyright, publication submissions, and standards for review). In the final semester, they enroll in the second writing seminar to complete a qualifying paper, in consultation with a faculty advisor.
In addition to coursework, students demonstrate the ability to translate art historical literature from a foreign language relevant to their research interests into English.Through the process of completing coursework, museum internships and research endeavors, students develop a professional portfolio relevant to their career objectives.
- Museum Collections
- Historiography and Methodology of Art History
- Writing Seminar
- Seminar in Art and Representation
- Art History and Pedagogy
- Seminar in Early Modern Art
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts History Art History View 444 other Masters in Art History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A bachelor’s degree in art history or in a related field (e.g., history, anthropology, literary studies, religious studies or philosophy)
- Applicants who have completed at least 18 undergraduate semester credit hours in art history are preferred
- A statement of purpose, 750-1000 words in length, that briefly recounts applicant’s academic background, describes an avenue of inquiry that the applicant expects to explore, notes applicant’s professional goals beyond graduate study and explains why VCU art history is suited to applicant’s interests
- A research/writing sample that has a clearly articulated thesis statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from schools where applicant completed course work applied toward the baccalaureate degree
- A current resume or CV
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 24 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.