Graduate students have two options for completing the M.A. in English (Teaching Option): Strand One is designed to extend and enrich the professional development of experienced middle school and high school teachers of English language arts. Strand Two is designed for individuals who have a B.A. in English or related field and who wish to be licensed to teach English at the secondary level (grades 5-12) while they work on the M.A. in English (Teaching Option).
With additional coursework, field experiences, and student teaching, individuals may receive secondary english licensure and an M.A. in English. After admission to the M.A. in English (Teaching Option), Graduate students must apply to the Teacher Educatiom Program in Curriculum & Instruction in order to take licensure courses at the graduate level. Strand Two is also appropriate for individuas who wish to learn teaching pedagogy but do not need secondary licensure.
The M.A. in English (Teaching Option) offers a balance of advanced studies in composition, linguistics, literature, critical theory and pedagogy.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- application must be uploaded in the Graduate School application no later than January 6.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching View 919 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- First: Complete the Online Application
- Self-report GRE scores;
- Self-report all colleges and universities attended (including GPA);
- 3 Letters of recommendation;
- Upload a short (100-300 word) essay of personal goals for graduate study;
- Upload an expository writing sample (a critical essay or research paper);
- If you are interested in a teaching assistantship fill out the TA application and upload it.
- Pay the application fee.
- Second: Request official scores and transcripts:
- Request that your official GRE scores are sent to The University of Montana using school code 4489
International262 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 262 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National262 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 262 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.