Graduates are found in major corporations, higher education, health care organizations, state and federal agencies, nonprofit and community-based organizations and human services agencies. Admission to the program is predicated on the “whole person” concept, taking into account life experience, academic record, references and the reasons for the student’s interest in the program. An interview with the program coordinator is recommended prior to admission. Successful applicants will have sufficient prior work experience with adults as learners to enable them to bring relevant work experience into the classroom learning environment.
The Adult Learning (Concentration in Instructional Design and Technology) program at Virginia Commonwealth University provides a foundation in educational research methods and a strong core of seven courses in the theory and practice of adult learning, including emphasis in development of facilitation skills, as well as the design and delivery of adult learning programs. Upon completion of the foundation and core courses, students choose one of three concentration areas: adult literacy, human resource development (learning in the workplace), or instructional design and technology. The last course in the program, a capstone seminar in action learning, reunites students from all three concentrations for a comprehensive synthesis experience as they work in action learning teams to solve a real problem of strategic importance to an organization in the community.
A unique feature of the program is the learning portfolio, maintained in an online journal (blog) format. The learning portfolio, in combination with the capstone seminar, replaces a comprehensive examination requirement. For the portfolio, students write reflective blog entries during each of the core and concentration courses. During the program, selected assignments are posted to the blog to document personal growth and learning over time. At the end of the program, students create a synthesis of their learning in an essay format or through creation of a digital story. The portfolio serves as a demonstration of the graduate’s abilities to a prospective employer and can be added to a student’s resume. Throughout, the program utilizes students’ experiences in working with adults as learners to unite theory with practice and emphasizes 21st-century technologies for teaching and learning.
Student learning outcomes
- Demonstrate the ability to articulate a personal philosophy of adult learning practice that enables students to work effectively as leaders and facilitators to improve adult learning, as evidenced on the final program learning assessment
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate knowledge of all facets of adult learning to have a significant impact on the practices, culture and learning environments of the organizations in which the student works
- Demonstrate knowledge of the nature, function and scope of adult learning during the capstone experience of the program
- Demonstrate awareness of the processes of adult learning and development during the capstone experience
- Acknowledge the influence of technology in adult learning, as evidenced in the final program learning assessment
- Demonstrate awareness of educational research in the adult learning field, as evidenced by the research on instructional strategy and organizational change strategy analysis rubric
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methods in Education
- Adult Learning and Development
- Design and Delivery of Adult Learning Programs
- Consulting Skills In Adult Learning Environments
- Learning in Croups and Teams
- Capstone Seminar in Action Learning
- Adult Literacy and Diversity
- Lifespan Issues for Adults with Learning and Behavioral Disabilities
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesAdult Education View 126 other Masters in Adult Education in United States
- Personal statement
- Academic documentation
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional academic requirements and regulations
- Foreign transcripts
- Financial certification
- Application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.