The mission of the Addiction Studies from Virginia Commonwealth University leading to a Master of Science in Addiction Studies degree is to offer students cross-cultural exposure to the critical prevention, treatment, research and policy issues facing the field. Through a collaboration arrangement including VCU, King’s College London and the University of Adelaide in Australia, students complete a program of study using distance-learning technologies to obtain the degree. The program is designed to prepare students for local, national and international policy positions, prevention/treatment program management and other leadership positions in the addictions field. This program will speed the dissemination of the latest international addictions-related knowledge, especially to remote locations around the world, and help students compare international perspectives and translate this knowledge into more effective prevention and treatment practices and evidence-based policies within their own countries.
Students in the program will:
- Demonstrate a detailed knowledge of the field of addiction science (including comparative international policies and practices) to prepare them for leadership roles in a variety of settings (including addiction research, policy and treatment venues).
- Be able to synthesize and apply addiction-related knowledge, including comparative international perspectives and approaches, to address key issues related to the advancement of addiction science.
- Develop the ability to design, implement and interpret experimental approaches which address key questions in addiction science.
- Communicate both core knowledge of addiction as well as experimental design, result and interpretation in a variety of formats.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Biological Basis of Addiction
- Treatment of Addiction: Psychosocial Interventions
- Public Health Issues and Approaches to Addictions
- Addiction Policy
- Treatment of Addiction: Pharmacotherapies
- Treatment of Addiction: Critical Issues
- Research Methodology in Addictions
- Research Project in Addictions
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health View 961 other Masters in Public Health in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Personal statement
- Academic documentation
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional academic requirements and regulations
- Foreign transcripts
- Financial certification
- Application fee
International25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
National25956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25956 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12618 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12618 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Richmond
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.