Special emphasis is placed on (1) an analytic understanding of specific episodes in the history of theatre and similar genres of enactment, (2) the ability to grasp the assumptions and practical protocols that are or have been influential in the creation of theatrical art, and (3) the capacity to examine and appreciate the way theatre influences and is influenced by the context in which it occurs.
By virtue of its broad regard for the way context and live performance interact, the M. A. Theatre Studies at University of Kansas helps to prepare students for leadership roles in community and regional arts organizations, especially when course work is complemented by a thesis about the arts in community. Several states regard an M. A. in theatre to be a creditable enhancement of a teacher’s qualifications in grades K-12. In addition, the focus on those assumptions and history that shape theatre studies and production provide students with a strong transition to a Ph.D. program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Graduate Study in Theatre
- The Art of Directing
- Problems and Techniques of Direction
- Advanced Play Production
- Scenography and the Classic Script
- Scenography and the Experimental Production
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media Theatre & Dance View 314 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
- an overall undergraduate GPA of no less than 3.2.
- an overall GPA of no less than 3.5 in the major and in previous graduate studies.
- An official transcript, sent directly to KU, from your baccalaureate granting institution, and transcripts from all institutions attended post-baccalaureate.
- Three (3) recent letters of recommendation
- A current resume of academic and artistic experiences.
- A statement of personal goals that explains why you want to pursue graduate study in theatre.
- A writing sample (no more than 15 pages) that demonstrates your ability to theorize, analyze, and synthesize scholarly information. (Please do not send theses, CDs, DVDs, or video tapes.)
International19322 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19322 USD per year during 12 months.
National18017 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18017 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State7546 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7546 USD per year during 12 months.
- Annual tuition for 18 credits
Living costs for Lawrence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.