Although the French major emphasis of teaching and research is French and Francophone literature, the department also offers courses in literary theory, cultural studies, and film. The department offers a balanced emphasis on all periods from medieval through twentieth and twenty-first centuries.
Our students represent a diverse group, and we encourage equally applicants from traditional and nontraditional backgrounds. Excellent facilities, strong library holdings, and a faculty dedicated to both teaching and research assure students of a challenging and professional graduate preparation.
Work toward the M.A. degree at University of Kansas consists of a traditional curriculum providing important foundational knowledge. The M.A. in French is awarded upon the completion of 30 credit hours of course work (which includes either a thesis or two seminars) and oral and written examinations covering all areas of French literature. Students must demonstrate a reading knowledge of a second foreign language.
- Structure of Modern French
- Methods in French Language Instruction
- Studies in Medieval French Literature
- Graduate Studies in French
- Seminar on the French Short Story
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 788 other Masters in Languages in United States
- In addition to the general admission requirements from the KU Office of Graduate Studies, applicants should have the equivalent of a major in French at the B.A. level, with a minimum of 9 hours of advanced undergraduate course work in French literature. In exceptional cases, applicants who do not have a B.A. in French, but meet the 9 hour literature requirement and have an otherwise stellar application may still be considered for admission.
Required Supplemental Documents
- Statement of Purpose
- A sample essay or research paper in French
- The names and contact information of three references
- GRE scores
International23951 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23951 USD per year during 12 months.
National23951 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23951 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State9989 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9989 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lawrence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.