The degree supports a wide range of career opportunities at various organizations: state departments of education, city departments of education, academic research centers, not for profit organizations, educational foundations, or education/social policy think tanks. The Social and Cultural Studies in Education degree at University of Kansas in provides graduate students a 31 credit hour program, culminating with a capstone project.
Students in the program complete a variety of courses, focusing on foundational questions such as:
- How has the present educational system developed, in the U.S. and worldwide?
- How does poverty and inequality affect the school performance of children?
- What knowledge should schools aim to impart?
- How can education help achieve a more just, democratic and multicultural society?
- What are the ethical responsibilities of teachers and other educators in an unequal and changing society?
- What are the competing purposes of education, and how do we make choices among them?
This program offers an individualized student experience that addresses big questions in education and can be completed in less than two calendar years. The goal of the program is to prepare thoughtful and effective educators for a variety of settings.
- Understanding Research in Education
- History of Education and Culture in America
- Foundations of Multicultural Education
- Sociology of Education
- Philosophy of Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Social Work Area & Cultural Studies View 3576 other Masters in Education in United States
- The GRE is not required for the master's in social & cultural studies in education
- One official copy of your academic transcripts
- Resume or c.v.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose: indicate relationship of intended program of study to career goals
- English Proficiency requirement: TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores for international students and domestic non-native English speakers
- Regular admission requires a bachelor’s degree and a grade-point average (GPA) of at least a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) from a regionally accredited institution, like KU, or a foreign university with substantially equivalent bachelor’s degree requirements.
International18473 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18473 USD per year during 12 months.
National18473 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18473 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State8002 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8002 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lawrence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.