In the master’s program in Foreign and Second Language Education at Florida State University, you have the opportunity to follow either an education or a research track.
The education track offers solid theoretical and practical training to prepare you to teach English to speakers of other languages in the United States or abroad. In addition to offering the same coursework, the research track provides you with the opportunity to participate in individual and/or group research related to second language learning and teaching culminating in a thesis. This track also prepares you to pursue your FSLE education at the doctoral level. The master’s program is offered both online and on-campus, so you can choose the track that best fits your schedule. As an added bonus, you’ll earn a certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) automatically when you complete the master’s program!
Our education specialist (Ed.S.) program is an advanced master’s degree. Applicants to the Ed.S. program should already hold a master’s degree in an area of Foreign and Second Language Education or related field.
- Foundations of Teaching
- Advanced Topics of Educational Psychology
- Classroom Assessment
- Literacy Across the Content Areas
- Methods for Teaching Foreign and Second Languages
- Internship in Foreign or Second Language Teaching
- AREA III: Content Specific Courses (Select from A or B)
- Applied Linguistics
- Language, Literature and Culture Electives
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Languages Linguistics View 3074 other Masters in Education in United States
To complete the process in the Office of Admissions, applicants must submit the following:
- An official transcript from each college or university attended.
- Official nationally standardized graduate admission test scores.
- The residency form, if applicable.
- Submit official English Proficiency Test Scores if your native language is not English.
- Determine if the major/program of interest has a different application deadline and/or additional major/program criteria, e.g., research interests, letters of recommendation, personal statement, interviews/portfolios/auditions, or other factors specified by the program.
International33300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1110 USD per credit during 12 months.
National33300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1110 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State14370 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 479 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Tallahassee
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.