Throughout the course, you develop an understanding of both the theory and practice of teaching RE using a range of learning and teaching approaches. You are supported in developing practical classroom skills both in teaching RE and in the teacher’s wider professional role.
The Secondary Religious Education programme at The University of Winchester prepares you to teach across the age range 11-16 or 11-18 and is structured around five modules - a combination of taught modules based at the University and placement modules based in schools or educational settings. Classroom practice is assessed through placements, totaling 120 days. You also have the opportunity to gain Masters level credits (up to 60 credits).
The programme leads to a PGCE Secondary Religious Education with a recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Graduates go on to obtain teaching positions in various secondary schools and other school settings (such as special schools, independent schools, pupil referral units and sixth form colleges) as highly successful RE teachers and future leaders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Enhancing and Applying Subject Knowledge
- Current Issues Related to Subject Specialism
- Professional Studies
- School Experience
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Religious Studies & Theology Pedagogy View 138 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United Kingdom
- Applicants are advised to access the Department for Education's (DfE) Get into Teaching website for general information regarding entry requirements.
- This guidance is based on the DfE requirements for gaining Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and identifies the minimum academic requirements that candidates must meet to be eligible for admission.
- Applicants are required to have a first or second-class Honours degree in religious studies, theology, philosophy or a related field with a strong element of religious or philosophical study.
- Applicants must also have GCSE grade C or higher in English language and mathematics as a pre-course requirement.
International13500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13500 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Winchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
We have a variety of scholarship and bursaries available to support you financially with the cost of your course.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.