About this Degree
Our students work closely with faculty who conduct internationally recognized research in fields from ancient China to the 21st century, including literature, film, linguistics, language pedagogy, paleography, popular culture, the history of gender and sexuality in all periods of China, pre-modern, modern, and contemporary Japanese literature and culture, and Korean anthropology and folklore, as well as modern and contemporary Korean history. Students with other interests are also encouraged to apply.
The East Asian Languages and Cultures program is interdisciplinary. M.A. candidates may take courses outside of EALC in Art History, Film Studies, Gender Studies, History, Politics, Religious Studies, and Sociology, among others. In addition, the KU East Asian Collection ranks among the top 20 collections in North America, and 11th among publicly funded collections in the U.S. Specialist librarians are in charge of a collection that has over 323,000 items with over 315,000 in volumes and more than 3660 print periodical titles, with access to about 19,000 online periodical titles.
Students concentrate in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or East Asian Cultures, usually entering the program with at least two years of college-level language. The program typically takes two years to complete, and now includes a Thesis option and a Non-thesis option.
- cultures of East Asia
- Chinese literature
- Japanese literature
- Korean literature
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 700 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- A current C.V. (Curriculum Vitae) or resume.
- A Statement of Purpose explaining your academic objectives. Please describe the research interests and goals that you intend to pursue in light of specific strengths that can be found among the faculty at KU.
- A writing sample that demonstrates your writing skills and basic research capacity. A research paper from a previous upper-level undergraduate course will suffice.
- The names and emails of three references. These references will be contacted directly by KU for letters of recommendation. Please alert your references in advance.
- Transcripts from all institutions from which a degree was obtained and from all institutions attended post-bachelor's. *
- Official GRE scores (strongly recommended)
International19322 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19322 USD per year during 12 months.
National18017 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18017 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State7546 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7546 USD per year during 12 months.
- Annual tuition for 18 credits
Living costs for Lawrence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.