The Sacred Music program offered by Boston University also allows students to develop their musical gifts to a professional level. It is based on a perception that the integrity of worship comprises both word and music. The program prepares candidates for a dual ministry in areas such as church music and pastoral counseling, a position on a large staff, or for a comprehensive ministry as pastor and church musician in a small church.
The four-year, full-time program leads to the Master of Sacred Music (MSM) and the Master of Divinity (MDiv). The two degrees, on the recommendation of the faculty, will be conferred simultaneously.
Dean’s Scholarships are awarded for the academic year, September to May. They are renewable each year upon the annual evaluation of the recipient’s grade point average (3.5 minimum), character, and commitment to ministerial or other religious leadership. All awards are for a maximum of three academic years of full-time MDiv/MSM study. Dean’s Scholarships are awarded before initial enrollment in the School of Theology; however, money is not available to the student until the first day of classes.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Christian Traditions
- Christianity Engaging Modernity
- Practicing Faith
- Any STH social ethics course
- Introduction to the Hebrew Bible
- Introduction to the New Testament
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology Music View 945 other Masters in Music in United States
- Online application
- $95 non-refundable application fee, submitted online
- Digital copy (PDF preferred) of unofficial transcripts from all academic institutions where the applicant received previous academic credit
- 3 Letters of reference
- Personal statement
- CV or Resume
- Application essay
- Standardized test results
- International Applicants only: International applicants to all School of Theology degree programs must include additional items as part of their visa application with the United States government.
International21888 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21888 USD per year during 48 months.
National21888 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21888 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.