Master of music in Music Therapy degree at the University of Kentucky training begins at the undergraduate level with required coursework in the following three areas: music therapy, behavioral sciences, and core music courses. Many students however, often come to music therapy at the graduate level by participating in equivalency master’s programs. An equivalency master’s program allows individuals to make up any missed prerequisites not taken at the undergraduate level before completing the master’s coursework in music therapy.
In the Music Therapy program at the University of Kentucky, you will learn how music therapists use music-based techniques to address individualized non-musical goals within a therapeutic relationship. Music therapy is used to:
- Promote wellness
- Manage stress
- Alleviate pain
- Express feelings
- Enhance memory and cognition
- Improve communication
- Improve coping skills
- Promote physical rehabilitation
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Music Theory (aural and written)
- Music History
- Improvisation/Movement Courses (Example: Orff)
- Primary Instrument Performance/Lessons
- Ensemble Participation
- Guitar, Piano and Voice (Proficiency is required in all three of these areas.)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Music View 1066 other Masters in Music in United States
- Official copies of all undergraduate transcripts
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal objective essay: This is an opportunity for you to share why you are interested in the music therapy program at UK, and why you think you would be a good candidate for our MM program.
- Writing sample: This should be an example of your scholarly writing abilities. It can be a paper you wrote for an undergraduate course and does not need to relate directly to music therapy.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Interview with the music therapy faculty, during which we will ask you to sing one song while accompanying yourself on guitar and one song while accompanying yourself on piano. Students who have not yet learned to play guitar only sing and play one song with piano accompaniment.
- Entrance exams covering music theory, music history, and music therapy
International33548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33548 USD per year during 12 months.
National33548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33548 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State13674 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13674 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lexington-Fayette
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.