Early literacy is a predictor of lifelong success; students who can read and communicate clearly from a young age are more likely to become engaged in their classes, avoid truancy, score well on tests and stay in school. Yet adolescent literacy rates have remained the same for years without improvement in what has been widely referred to as a literacy crisis. Improving literacy outcomes has therefore become a school-wide initiative in all content areas, as literacy is no longer the domain of a single classroom.
After completing the reading specialist licensure track of the online master's in Reading Education at University of Kansas, you may choose to pursue a number of literacy-related careers. You'll be prepared to become a reading specialist at the elementary, middle or high school level, and you may also find success as a PK–12 literacy coach. Other potential career paths include becoming an adult literacy teacher, teaching in higher education or consulting for a publisher of reading textbooks.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Writing, Language, and Learning
- Foundations of Reading: Process, Theory, and Instruction
- Teaching Young Adult Literature
- Comprehension and Study Strategies for Use with Multiple Texts
- Language and Literature in the Reading Program
- Writing and Spelling Development and Instruction
- Teaching Literature to Children
- Reading and the English Language Learner in the Elementary School
- Emergent Literacy and Beginning Reading
- Early Intervention in Reading - Practicum
- Supporting Striving Readers: Adolescent through Adult
- Supporting Striving Readers Practicum
- The Reading Program: Coordination and Supervision
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Literature View 32 other Masters in Literature in United States
- Completed online application form
- Official transcript of completed bachelor’s degree* from accredited university**
- Application fee
- Personal statement showing a clear understanding of how the degree will fit into the applicant’s career plans
- Three letters of recommendation from qualified professional or academic references
- Current resume or CV
- Proof of English proficiency (for non-native English-speaking applicants)
International19322 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19322 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National24023 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24023 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State10061 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10061 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.