Early literacy is a predictor of lifelong success; students who can read and communicate clearly from a young age are more likely to become engaged in their classes, avoid truancy, score well on tests and stay in school. Yet adolescent literacy rates have remained the same for years without improvement in what has been widely referred to as a literacy crisis. Improving literacy outcomes has therefore become a school-wide initiative in all content areas, as literacy is no longer the domain of a single classroom.
Transition to a career as a reading specialist, or elevate your teaching skills.
The University of Kansas School of Education and Human Sciences offers two tracks for the online master's in Reading Education, as well as a reading specialist licensure endorsement-only track. These programs help build an understanding of literacy at all levels, including assessment of literacy development from the beginning stages in pre-kindergarten through adolescence and adulthood. A master’s in reading education will help you explore the intersection of diversity and literacy and will teach you to support populations with different reading challenges.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Foundations of Curriculum and Instruction
- Foundations of Reading: Process, Theory, and Instruction
- Understanding Research in Education
- Comprehension and Study Strategies for Use With Multiple Texts
- Multicultural Education
- Emergent Literacy and Beginning Reading
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Literature View 120 other Masters in Literature in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Kansas and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Completed online application form
- Official transcript of completed bachelor’s degree* from accredited university**
- Application fee
- Personal statement showing a clear understanding of how the degree will fit into the applicant’s career plans
- Three letters of recommendation from qualified professional or academic references
- Current resume or CV
- Proof of English proficiency (for non-native English-speaking applicants)
International18473 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18473 USD per year during 24 months.
National18473 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18473 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State8002 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8002 USD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.