Program graduates will demonstrate skill in teaching all students; understanding of and ability to act on research; practice shaped by pedagogical content knowledge; and an ability to serve as a teacher leader.
Career Outcomes in TESOL
The master of arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) at the University of Kansas is designed to prepare the passionate educator to focus on fundamentals of curriculum and instruction, intercultural awareness and understanding language acquisition. This program prepares graduates to overcome challenges and make a difference in the lives of students. Most students admitted to the program already hold an initial teaching license. The program leads to both a master's degree and preparation for the PRAXIS exam required by the Kansas State Department of Education to add a licensure endorsement in TESOL. Potential position titles after graduation could include:
- ESOL teacher;
- classroom teacher; and
- community worker.
- Foundations of Curriculum and Instruction
- Methods of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Assessment in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Second Language Acquisition for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Educators (TESOL)
- Intercultural Competence for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Educators (TESOL)
- Master's Thesis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesTeaching English View 212 other Masters in Teaching English in United States
- Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) with at least a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale from a regionally accredited institution or a foreign university with substantially equivalent bachelor’s degree requirements.
- Online application
- Resume or CV
- English translation of transcripts
- Statement of goals
- Financial document (international students only)
- Online letters of recommendation
International18473 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18473 USD per year during 12 months.
National18473 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18473 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State8002 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8002 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lawrence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.