The mission of Master of Science in Foreign Service (MSFS) from Georgetown University seeks to instill in its students a commitment to service in the international community and an appreciation for the ethical dimension of international affairs.
Members of the MSFS community lead others with integrity, ethics and purpose. We define leadership as the ability to work cooperatively and respectfully with others to develop a vision, articulate concrete goals and strategies, and implement positive change. This requires self-awareness, humility, and multicultural competence.
Members of the MSFS community think and act creatively in their personal and professional lives. The proliferation of new technologies, new actors, and new patterns of behavior in the international arena requires us to use our imaginations and embrace new ideas, new partners and new solutions. We define creativity as thinking outside established paradigms and solving problems with flexibility and consideration of multiple approaches to a single issue.
The MSFS community brings integrity, character and sound moral judgement to every task. Members of our community consider, respect, and value diverse perspectives. We examine our own assumptions and oppose bias in all forms. We believe every student must understand and appreciate different moral frameworks, be able to articulate competing perspectives, and recognize and balance the merits of competing priorities.
The MSFS community serves others. We define service as helping others at the local, national and global levels, including the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. MSFS promotes civic engagement and the pursuit of social justice in all its students, and a lifelong dedication to serving the greater global community.
The MSFS community is inclusive. Our community recognizes that listening to diverse voices improves our ability to understand and lead. We advocate for greater empowerment of underrepresented groups and work to remove unjust barriers in civic and professional spheres. We promote equity in opportunities, outcomes, solutions, and growth for all persons.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Core Courses include:
- International Relations: Theory & Practice
- Globalization of Intersocietal Relations
- Analytical & Statistical Skills
- International Economics: Tools & Application
- Applied International Economics
- Ethics & Decision-making
- Principled Leadership
Each MSFS student chooses one of the following fields of concentration:
- Global Politics & Security (GPS)
- International Development (IDEV)
- Global Business, Finance & Society (GBFS)
- Science, Technology, and International Affairs (STIA)
A list of popular Concentration Courses:
- Impact Analysis (IDEV)
- Nuclear Weapons & International Security (GPS)
- Private Equity - Fortier Markets (GBFS)
- The Energy Transition (STIA)
- Sustainability, Innovation & Technology (STIA)
- Investment in Emerging Markets (GBFS)
- The Rise of Autocracies (GPS)
- Global Government Relations (GBFS)
- Macroeconomics for Development (IDEV)
- Intelligence & National Security (GPS)
- China: Science, Innovation & National Power (STIA)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics History International Relations View 797 other Masters in History in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Statement of Purpose.
- Academic Transcripts.
- Letters of Recommendation - We require at least two letters of recommendation, although providing three is recommended. Recommendations must be in English.
- Standardized Tests - Applicants whose native language or primary education language is not English must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. Applicants are also encouraged, but not required, to submit one set of standardized test scores: GRE/GMAT, or LSAT, depending on the applicant.
- Non-refundable $90 Application Fee - Applications submitted by 11:59 p.m. EST on December 1 will have the application fee waived.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International58000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29000 USD per semester during 24 months.
National58000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29000 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Washington, D. C.
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
MSFS offers a number of partial-tuition, merit-based scholarships during the admissions process. These scholarships are distributed to students of exceptional ability and talent based on the strength of their applications in the admissions process. Because all scholarship dollars are awarded during the admissions process, no additional application is necessary for the scholarships. Scholarships designated for second-year students are also awarded at the time of admission.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.