Emphasizing strong storytelling skills and fluency in multimedia platforms, the Master of Arts in New Media Photojournalism program at George Washington University incorporates writing, photography, audio, video, and web design to prepare students to work as freelancers, visual reporters, editors, and producers. The program emphasizes the individual as a visual reporter and encourages experimentation with new ways of storytelling, documentation, and editing. The program also encourages its students to explore the latest digital practices taught in conjunction with the enduring fundamentals of visual reporting, editing, and ethics.
Through intensive faculty mentoring in conjunction with a broad and flexible program of study and internship opportunities, students choose and develop their professional paths. In addition to The Washington Post, National Public Radio, National Geographic and Discovery Communications, countless newspapers, magazines, trade journals and major media outlets are located within a five-mile radius of the Corcoran's downtown campus.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Advanced Multimedia Lab
- NMPJ Seminar I: Image/Impact
- NMPJ Seminar II: (rotating special topics)
- Advanced Multi-Media Lab II: Editing and Production
- Photojournalism Graduate Seminar III: The Medium and the Message
- NMPJ Thesis Workshop
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Journalism View 153 other Masters in Journalism in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Two (2) recommendations
- Transcripts are required from all colleges and universities attended, whether or not credit was earned, the program was completed, or the credit appears as transfer credit on another transcript. Unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be uploaded to your online application. Official transcripts are required only of applicants who are offered admission.
- Statement of purpose
- A 3-5 page writing sample, published or unpublished.
- An interview is required
International41280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1720 USD per credit during 24 months.
National41280 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1720 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Washington, D. C.
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.