At its core, the Painting program at Boston University is studio-driven, with rigorous expectations about each student’s commitment to their own artistic practice. As an art form, painting is more than just an activity; it is a long-term critical engagement with ideas, feelings, and sensibilities. As such, the program supplements this emphasis on the studio with critical dialogue, in the form of studio visits, critiques, weekly seminars, lectures, field trips, and workshops. Graduate students develop close working relationships with both faculty and peers, forging a tight-knit community that continues beyond graduation. Frequent visits from major figures in the contemporary art world, as well as regular trips within New England, New York City, and beyond, bolster this sense of community and prepare students for a life in painting. Real-world experience, critical dialogue, and an intensive studio climate support each student’s journey toward an ever-sharpening artistic vision.
- Graduate Painting
- Graduate Seminar/Discussion
- Liberal Arts elective
- Art or General electives
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Liberal Arts View 758 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- Complete your application online
- Subbmit Application
- Upload Forms: Upload transcripts from all college attended, and other supplemental forms (résumé, essay, etc.) that are required to your application. (see Requirements for All Applicants)
- Please do not send transcripts to us. Transcripts should be uploaded to your application.
- By completing a bachelor’s degree from an institution in which English was the language of instruction before the time of enrollment at BU.
International30568 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30568 USD per year during 24 months.
National30568 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30568 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.