About Spanish at The University of Iowa
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese offers undergraduate majors and minors, graduate degree programs, and coursework for students in other disciplines. The department provides a wide selection of courses taught in Spanish and Portuguese, languages that are spoken in many cultures around the world and are important in the study of linguistics, health care, culture, literature, art, film, and many other areas. Spanish and Portuguese language courses are open to any student who has satisfied the course prerequisites.
In addition to language courses, the department offers general interest courses on literature, film, and culture that are taught in English. It also participates in several study abroad programs.
The Pomerantz Career Center offers multiple resources to help students find internships and jobs.
- Elementary Spanish
- Intermediate Spanish
- Accelerated Intermediate Spanish
- Accelerated Intermediate Spanish for Heritage Speakers
- Hispanic Cultural Activities Attendance
- Spanish Language Skills: Writing
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Rolling admissions for consideration thereafter.
DisciplinesLanguages Linguistics View 790 other Masters in Languages in United States
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- English Proficiency Requirements
- submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
International29739 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29739 USD per year during 12 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.