There are two principal focuses of the Chinese program at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. One is the study of Chinese literature, culture, linguistics, and/or pedagogy. The second is the acquisition of practical language skills to enhance future work in such fields as translation, interpretation, teaching, journalism, business or government.
Our M.A. students have gone on to work in foreign services, government, as high school teachers and college professors, as professional translators and interpreters, and in a number of other careers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Chinese Language in Contexts
- Syntactic Structures of Chinese
- Modern Chinese Literature and Culture
- The Ming-Qing Novel
- Research Methods
- Classical Poetry
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 1044 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- Students entering the Master's Degree program in Chinese Language and Literature must have finished the equivalent of four years of college level Chinese language courses. This can be accomplished by taking courses as an undergraduate; studying, living, and working in Chinese-speaking environment; or passed required level of Chinese Language Placement Exam.
- Each student accepted into the program will take our language placement exam during the first week to determine the level of their language competence.
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for all applicants, including foreign applicants.
- The Graduate School requires all applicants whose native language is not English to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- We also look at the applicants' background in college coursework and potential in graduate studies. Sending a writing sample separately from the application is not required.
International20380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10190 USD per semester during 12 months.
National20380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10190 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State9342 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4671 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Amherst Center
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.