The Applied Musicology programme at Utrecht University utilizes reflective training in both current and innovative approaches in musicology, through which you will learn to apply academic musicological skills to the day-to-day challenges in a musical life.
Experience from the professional field
The Master's programme in Applied Musicology was designed in direct dialogue with top institutions within the musical infrastructure in the Netherlands and beyond; it does not discriminate between classical and popular music.
The curriculum builds on knowledge and skills gained through Bachelor's programme in Musicology, with emphasis on both historical musicology and the relation of music with other media.
As a student, you will receive intensive mentoring while developing research and reflective skills relevant to questions in contemporary music production, programming, financing and participation. You will acquire additional relevant skills (for example journalistic writing skills) through classroom labs as well as coaching by professors and professionals in the field.
The Master's programme in Applied Musicology prepares professionals for a range of careers:
- Programmer /Researcher at musical organisations
- Editorial Board Member at broadcast institutions
- Editor in written media
- Manager of cultural or educational institutions
- Programmer for festivals
- Music Supervisor for sound recording or film companies
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Current Musicology
- Musical Infrastructure In An International Context
- Musical Knack: Writing about Music
- Musical Knack: Staging Music
- Musical Encounters And Confrontations: Postcolonial Perspectives On Music, 1600-present
- Music And The Moving Image
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesMusic Musicology Liberal Arts View 23 other Masters in Liberal Arts in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You will be considered for admission to the Master's programme Applied Musicology if you have a Bachelor’s diploma from a Dutch university (or international equivalent) and can demonstrate the following knowledge, insight and skills:
- You have a clear interest in Music and Musicology shown by having taken at least 60 EC of components in the field of Music or Musicology at the Bachelor's level.
- You have a clear interest in (Western) music and its role within the cultural infrastructure, as well as appropriate skills in cross-medial research methods within musicology.
- You are able to interpret and apply complex theories in the field of Musicology, as demonstrated by a seminar paper or your Bachelor's thesis.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17500 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Utrecht
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.