Although designed as a 12-month, full-time program that begins in June each year, students of the Modern Foreign Language Education program offered by Boston University may in some cases choose to start the program in September. It is further possible to complete the degree over a longer time period as a part-time student.
Students in the program complete courses in their specific language (Arabic, French, Mandarin Chinese, or Spanish) at the College of Arts & Sciences, and courses in professional education (foundations of education, adolescent development, special education, methods of teaching modern foreign languages, etc.), language acquisition (applied linguistics and second language acquisition), as well as a pre-practicum and practicum (student-teaching experience) through the Wheelock College of Education & Human Development.
As a result of successful completion of this program, students will achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Promotes the learning and growth of all students by providing high-quality and coherent instruction, designing and administering authentic and meaningful student assessments, analyzing student performance and growth data, using this data to improve instruction, and providing students with constructive feedback on an ongoing basis.
- Promotes the learning and growth of all students through instructional practices that establish high expectations, create a safe and effective classroom environment, and demonstrate cultural proficiency.
- Promotes the learning and growth of all students through effective partnerships with families, caregivers, community members, and organizations.
- Promotes the learning and growth of all students through ethical, culturally proficient, skilled, and collaborative practice.
- Demonstrates subject matter knowledge.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Professional Teaching Seminar: Analyzing Foundations
- Introduction to Adolescent Development
- Special Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- Classroom and Behavior Management
- Teaching English Learners in Middle/High Schools
- Methods of Teaching Modern Foreign Languages
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Second Language Acquisition
- French, Spanish, or Arabic
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Linguistics View 719 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Online Application
- Statement of Qualifications and Objectives
- Equity & Inclusion Statement
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial transcripts from all universities attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official standardized test score reports
- Non-refundable $95 application fee
International54720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54720 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National54720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54720 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.