This master degree in Industrial Engineering is offered at the University of Iowa. Two M.S. programs are available: a thesis and a non-thesis option. Students considering eventual admission to a PhD program are strongly advised to select the thesis option. Those students receiving research or teaching assistantship support may be required to take the thesis option.
The M.S. thesis option requires a minimum of 30 semester credits of coursework in 3000 or higher level courses, including a maximum of six semester credit hours of research. The M.S. non-thesis option requires a minimum of 36 semester credits of course work in 3000 or higher level courses, and cannot include any credit hours of research. Both options require at least 21 graduate-level semester credits in Industrial and Systems Engineering, including research credits. All graduate students must register for IE:5000, Industrial and Systems Engineering Graduate Seminar, each semester in which they are enrolled in the university. Seminar credit of IE:5000 does not substitute for regular coursework or research semester credit hours.
- The student and the advisor will prepare a plan of study during the semester of assignment of a regular advisor and will submit that plan to the Director of Graduate Study for approval. The Graduate Plan of Study form is available here.
- It is the student's responsibility to assure that a plan of study is submitted/updated at the beginning of each academic year. When approved, the plan of study will be filed with the student's record.
- At the beginning of each academic year, the plan of study and students progress will be reviewed by the ISE faculty, and students will be given feedback regarding their progress towards their degree objective.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 331 other Masters in Industrial & Systems Engineering in United States
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- English Proficiency Requirements
- submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
International29379 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29379 USD per year during 24 months.
National31258 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31258 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12311 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12311 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.