About Literary Studies at The University of Iowa
The Department of English offers courses in literature, cultural studies, language, and critical and creative writing. In these courses, students read poetry, fiction, essays, criticism, and theory to acquire methods for understanding literature and culture and respond creatively to the texts. In addition to providing these essential elements of a liberal arts and sciences education, the department's courses can augment students' specialized interests in other fields. Visit the Department of English website to learn more about courses and upcoming events.
The Master of Arts in English degree helps prepare students for careers in professional writing, editing, web design, and publishing. It also is desirable for teachers seeking to enhance their credentials.
- Media Studies
- Digital Media and Poetics
- Digital Cultures and Literacies
- Science Fiction
- Reading and Teaching Adolescent Literature
- Topics in Medieval and Renaissance Literature
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Literature View 751 other Masters in Literature in United States
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- A brief statement of purpose (1-2 pages) explaining your intellectual interests, qualifications, and reasons.
- A writing sample with Cover Sheet
- A résumé or curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile.
- International students must send their TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International29739 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29739 USD per year during 12 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.