The Department of Dance provides comprehensive training in dance technique, performance, choreography, and theoretical studies while approaching scholarship, creative research, and studio-based training in the framework of a liberal arts education at the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts, and Master of Fine Arts levels. Integrating dance studies with the liberal arts and sciences, the dance degree programs promote creative and intellectual growth in an environment that develops young artists and advances the art of dance.
The Master of Fine Arts program in Dance offered by The University of Iowa requires a minimum of 60 s.h. of graduate credit. The program is designed to be completed in four to six semesters in residence.
Students who demonstrate accomplishment in dance performance and/or choreography may apply for admission to the M.F.A. program. Applicants select the choreography or the performance emphasis before they are admitted.
- The Department of Dance houses six technique studios, a movement training lab, a media classroom and library, a media laboratory, an audio recording laboratory, a costume shop, and its own 220-seat theater for dance concerts.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Elementary Ballet Pedagogy
- Teaching of Modern and Contemporary Dance Forms
- The Contemporary Dance Scene
- Theories of Dance and the Body
- Graduate Improvisation
- Major Ballet
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 310 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Complete resumé
- Statement indicating the track to be pursued and why.
- Application for Graduate Awards
- Please submit 3 to 5 samples of your work in choreography or performance. All samples must be viewable online
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International30613 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30613 USD per year during 24 months.
National30613 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30613 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State11666 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11666 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.