Through a combination of academic and professional modules, you will focus on both the social science knowledge base of social work, and on developing your practice-relevant knowledge, skills and values through 200 days of practical learning.
Taught by qualified social workers with a range of practice specialisms and research interests, this course offers exciting opportunities to learn alongside students from related professional disciplines including occupational therapy, teaching, nursing and medicine, mirroring the interprofessional nature of social work practice.
The Social Work MSc programme is offered by University of Brighton.
Social work is a rewarding career for those committed to improving the life opportunities and wellbeing of others, whilst promoting rights and social justice.
Registered social workers generally have little trouble finding employment. There are many relevant vacancies advertised locally and nationally, and there continues to be a demand for social workers both in established posts and with agencies who provide temporary staff to statutory organisations.
Social workers can specialise in many different areas, including working with children, youth offending, family centres, older people, disabled people, mental health services, homeless people, asylum seekers and refugees, and substance misuse.
Approved by Social Work England.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Lifespan Development: Social and Psychological Contexts
- Legal and Policy Contexts of Decision-Making in Social Work
- Practice Learning
- Research in Social Work: The Dissertation
- Decision-making in Assessment, Risk and Protection
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Generally there's no deadline for applying for a postgraduate course at Brighton.
DisciplinesSocial Work Psychology Sociology View 248 other Masters in Social Work in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Brighton and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
Degree and experience:
- An honours degree in any subject, normally with a minimum of upper second class honours*.
- A satisfactory academic reference and/or transcript, indicating ability to study at level 7.
- Understanding of, and preparedness for, social care and social work practice.
- Experience of providing social or caring services from paid or voluntary work.
GCSE (minimum grade C):
- Maths and English language, or recognised and certified equivalences. Functional Skills, level 2 in English and maths, are acceptable.
International13842 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13842 GBP per year during 24 months.
National7866 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7866 GBP per year during 24 months.
UK (full-time) - 5,244 GBP
International (full-time) - 9,228 GBP
Living costs for Brighton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.