Example skills include specialized work in both the consecutive and simultaneous modes in health, legal and political settings, for major corporations, international organizations, government ministries, and international, federal, and state courts requiring simultaneous capability.
The MPS in Interpreting from University of Maryland is a two-year, 44 credit program. In the first year, you begin to develop high-level skills in consecutive interpretation (oral rendering after the speaker pauses). In the program’s second year, you build on these fundamental skills and may learn simultaneous interpreting, while specializing in conference interpreting, or public service interpreting. Simultaneous interpreting may be selected as an elective in the public service interpreting track.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Fundamentals of Interpreting
- Introduction to Translation and Interpreting Studies
- Intercultural Communication Theory
- Public Speaking
- Independent Study: Intensive Writing in English
- Fundamentals of Translation
- Introduction to Computer-Assisted Translation
- Consecutive Interpretation
- Introduction to Simultaneous Interpretation
- Seminar in Health Communication
- The Rhetoric of Political Institutions
- Workplace Processes and Procedures
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies View 896 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL/IELTS/PTE (international graduate students): A minimum of 6 months proof of residency in a country where your primary acquired language is spoken.
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Supplementary Application
- Proof of residency: A minimum of 6 months proof of residency in a country where your primary acquired language is spoken.
- Admissions tests
International39000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19500 USD per semester during 24 months.
National39000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19500 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State17544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8772 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for College Park
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.