Our graduate program at Pennsylvania State University embraces intersectional and transnational feminist approaches to knowledge production, pedagogy, and community engagement. Faculty and graduate students in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies use interdisciplinary frameworks to research questions that span the arts, humanities, and the social sciences.
Because this degree is combined with a master’s or Ph.D. from one of our partner departments, students are well-prepared to produce cutting-edge, interdisciplinary scholarship; to teach across both disciplines; and to excel in a career in either field.
Upon completion of the dual-title graduate degree in WGSS, students are expected to:
- Demonstrate deep conceptual and historical understanding of intersectional feminist theory and methods.
- Apply current feminist literature from their partner discipline to their own research agenda.
- Comprehend the conceptual and practical dimensions of feminist pedagogy.
- Formulate and execute an independent research project that significantly furthers knowledge and theory within interdisciplinary feminist scholarship.
- Communicate effectively conceptual and methodological arguments in both written and oral formats to interdisciplinary audiences.
- Exhibit a commitment to professional standards and ethics in teaching, research, and service.
- Feminist Perspectives on Research and Teaching Across the Disciplines
- Global Perspectives on Feminism
- Feminist Media Studies
- Feminist Theory
- US Women's and Gender History
- Global Black Feminist Thought
- Gender and Nationalism
- Gender and Sexuality
- Feminist Philosophy Seminar
- Girls' Cultures and Popular Cultures
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Gender & Sexuality Studies Psychology View 89 other Masters in Gender & Sexuality Studies in United States
- Applicants can apply to the dual-title program when they first apply for graduate study at Penn State by indicating their interest on the online application. However, it is strongly recommended that the statement of purpose discuss how their research will integrate the two partner fields.
- A dual-title applicant is encouraged to attach both a separate statement of purpose focusing on their particular areas of engagement within gender studies, and a writing sample that demonstrates their previous work with and in feminist/gender theory.
- Applicants to the dual-title should have a junior/senior cumulative average of at least 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) and should have previous course work in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies or in related fields.
International39248 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39248 USD per year during 12 months.
National23082 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23082 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for University Park
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.