The Spanish program of The University of North Carolina at Charlotte provides a rich variety of graduate coursework in a major world language that is becoming increasingly important in the United States.
The program builds on a comprehensive undergraduate curriculum and consists of two concentrations:
- Language, Literature and Culture (LLC)
- Translating and Translation Studies (TTS)
The Master of Arts in Spanish requires 30 graduate credit hours. For any course to count toward the M.A. in Spanish, it must have been taken within seven years from the date of enrollment in the program. No more than 6 credit hours evaluated with a grade of C may be counted toward the minimum hours required for the master’s degree. Up to 6 credit hours of appropriate graduate coursework may be accepted for transfer from a college or university accredited by an accepted accrediting body. Additional non-residence credit for graduate study abroad may be possible via departmental pre-approval.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Studies in Spanish American Prose Fiction
- Selected Topics in Spanish
- Advanced Business Spanish
- Nineteenth Century Spanish Literature
- Theater of the Golden Age
- Studies in Hispanic Culture and Civilization
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 1008 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- A baccalaureate degree in Spanish or in a related field that required upper-division coursework in undergraduate Spanish (e.g., Latin American Studies, International Studies, International Business), with an overall GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- An essay that addresses the applicant’s motivation for enrolling in the M.A. in Spanish, to include particular areas of research interests and career or professional goals (Students seeking enrollment in the LLC concentration must write this essay in Spanish and demonstrate a high level of proficiency in Spanish by attaching an additional writing sample (a college term paper or similar document). Students seeking enrollment in the TTS concentration may write the essay in either English or Spanish but must demonstrate high levels of literacy and proficiency in both languages by providing writing samples in each.)
- An oral interview with the Graduate Program Director
- Three letters of reference.
International13328 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6664 USD per semester during 12 months.
National13328 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6664 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State3252 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1626 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Charlotte
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.