The MS is awarded with or without a thesis, and is usually awarded only to students enroute to the PhD. The department also offers Combined Degree Programs (a BA/MCS and BS/MCS).
The Master of Computer Science (M.C.S.) offered by The University of Iowa is a course-based, nonresearch program for students who wish to enhance their careers with advanced knowledge of computer science.
Current and prospective graduate students should consult the Computer Science Graduate Student Handbook, available from the department's office and its website. The handbook provides detailed information about specific degree requirements, such as required courses, examinations, and dissertation requirements.
- Students pursue software design and development careers in the technology sector, including UIX, mobile, and web development.
- Recent graduates hold positions at technology giants such as Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, or Intel, while others have taken positions in internationally established organizations whose primary business lies in the consulting, financial, health care, insurance, or media/entertainment sectors.
- A few M.C.S. students enter the start-up market or pursue additional graduate education leading to the Ph.D. at the University of Iowa or elsewhere.
- Theory of Computation
- Logic in Computer Science
- Topics in Computer Science
- Limits of Computation
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Randomized Algorithms
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesComputer Sciences View 984 other Masters in Computer Sciences in United States
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- A résumé or curriculum vitae
- A statement of purpose
- Unofficial transcript(s)
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be required before your enrollment
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International30613 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30613 USD per year during 24 months.
National30613 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30613 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State11666 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11666 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.