The Human Development Counseling program of Vanderbilt University recognizes the dynamic relationship between individuals, environments, and human systems. In order to meet the counseling needs of diverse populations, our students learn to integrate current research and evidence-based practice with sensitivity to social contexts and individual and systemic goals. HDC students employ counseling skills to maximize human potential and the development of individuals, groups, and organizations. They are uniquely qualified to appreciate the life-long nature of human development through the lens of advocacy and social justice.
The Human Development Counseling program offers two curriculum tracks:
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling: This track prepares you for a career in various social service agencies, mental health centers, and employee assistance programs, as well as other mental health organizations. Private practice as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) is an achievable goal if you pursue this track.
- School Counseling: This track prepares you to work as a professional school counselor in grades K–12. Program requirements lead directly to licensure as a school counselor by meeting all of the requirements established by the Tennessee State Department of Education. This track is also available online. Students completing the 48-credit hour school counseling degree may also be eligible for licensure in Tennessee as a licensed professional counselor with additional graduate coursework and internship experience.
- Dual Track Option: Students can meet all requirements for both the School Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling specialization in one degree! This option maximizes your employability AND you complete the degree with 1400 clinical experience hours. TN licensure as a school counselor as well as private practice as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) are both achievable goals if you pursue this dual track.
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Social, Legal, and Ethical Issues in Counseling
- Counseling Diverse Populations
- Developmental Counseling Psychology
- Advanced Developmental Counseling
- Career Counseling
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling Psychology View 1216 other Masters in Psychology in United States
- Submitted online application
- Transcript(s) from prior undergraduate and graduate work.
- Two letters of recommendation are required, three preferred for our master's programs.
- Statement of purpose
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- International applicants must submit all of the above, plus the following: TOEFL or IELTS scores are required of all international applicants
International51600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2150 USD per credit during 24 months.
National51600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2150 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Nashville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.