The master of fine arts degree program in Theatre at Pennsylvania State University pursues the following objectives:
- to assist each student in acquiring discriminating taste and critical judgment in theatre;
- to help each student attain skills and proficiencies in theatre;
- to provide the training, discipline, and opportunities essential to the development of a professional ability in at least one area of theatre; and
- to prepare each student for an active career in academic and/or professional theatre or other areas within the entertainment industry.
Facilities include the Playhouse, a 450-seat proscenium theatre; the Pavilion, a 249-seat thrust theatre; a 150-seat proscenium theatre in the heart of downtown State College; theatre production studios for scenic, property, and costume preparation; two computer-assisted design laboratories; a lighting laboratory; a sound and media studio; and rehearsal and dance studios.
- Theatre Research: Sources and Procedure
- Dramaturgy Seminar
- Masterpieces in Production
- Experiential Analysis of Italian Design Styles
- Experiential Analysis of Eastern European Styles
- Experiential Analysis of Period Style
- Performance Monograph
- Rehearsal Methods for the Director
- Directorial Styles and Approaches
- Directing Seminar
- Projects in Playwriting
- Costume Construction: Crafts
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Literature Theatre & Dance View 611 other Masters in Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Requirements for admission to the M.F.A. program are:
- a broad undergraduate preparation in theatre, including 3 credits each in acting, directing, stagecraft, and theatre history; and 6 credits of dramatic literature;
- 12 credits in related subject areas such as communications, oral interpretation, art, business, music, and dance; and
- submission of a vita and at least three letters of recommendation.
- submission of evidence of professional potential in the proposed area of specialization-auditions, prompt books, portfolios, manuscripts, and other appropriate presentations-to the applicable study program(s) by arrangement with the department; and
- a personal interview to be arranged by the student.
International41602 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 41602 USD per year during 24 months.
National41602 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 41602 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State24466 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24466 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for University Park
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.