You will be required to pass the content area test for social work prior to entering your last semester of study. Students should apply for the Professional Educators License with a school social work endorsement in their last semester through the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE), allowing them to obtain employement as a School Social Worker.
In this role, social workers will assist in assessing grade school, middle school, and/or high school children's needs, especially if the children are showing deficits in learning. Once those needs are clearly identified, the worker will collaboratively develop individualized education plans (IEPs) to meet these needs, and in most cases, will work with the students and his/her teachers and family members to make the student's educational experience more successful.
- Practice Evaluation I
- Practice Evaluation Ii
- Practice With Children And Adolescents
- School Policy
- Social Work Practice In Schools
- Advanced Practicum Seminar I
- Advanced Practicum Seminar II
- Advanced Practicum I
- Advanced Practicum II
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work View 364 other Masters in Social Work in United States
Admission Requirements: A student applying to a master's program must:
- have earned a four-year bachelor's degree or its equivalent from a college or university that is accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting association, or do so within one academic year
- present official transcripts from each college or university other than Illinois State at which graduate, undergraduate, or non-degree credit was earned.
- have an undergraduate degree from an accredited university
- have a GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in the last sixty hours of undergraduate coursework or any previous work in a master's program
- pass the Test of Academic Proficiency through the Illinois Stesting System and a background check before your application
- submit a current resume. Your resume should include your educational and relevant employment history, social work-related activities and volunteer involvement, publications by you, and any professional organizational affiliation (i.e. National Association of Social Workers, etc.).
- submit names and email addresses of two references for letters of recommendation within the online application. Recommendations should be written by individuals who are familiar with your academic achievement, potential, and relevant professional and/or volunteer experience in the field of social work or other human service related field.
International808 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 808 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National389 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 389 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
FundingScholarships Your grades, achievements, and activities during high school typically determine the scholarships for which you are eligible. Often, the organization or individual donor providing the scholarship wishes to reward or encourage certain characteristics or behaviors such as strong academic credentials, leadership or community service activities, or plans to enter a certain profession.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.