The Master of Design Strategy and Innovation at Swinburne University of Technology is suitable for designers and non-designers who wish to complement their existing skills with the frameworks, strategies, techniques and tools to solve complex problems.
Students learn how to integrate design-led strategies into existing practice in business, government agencies, social enterprise and communities. The course prepares students to create, lead and manage new products, systems and services that have a sustainable impact on the economy, society and the environment. They may also undertake study in related areas such as marketing, entrepreneurship and innovation, media and management. Students have the option to participate in study tours and projects with Design Factory Melbourne.
Aims and objectives
The course aims to provide graduates with an understanding of how design, design methods and design strategies integrate with management and innovation. It enables graduates to understand the management of design as a value-add resource in business. It is particularly suitable for ‘mid-career’ designers moving into management or strategy-related positions, or those responsible for managing design resources.
Upon successful completion of the Master of Design Strategy and Innovation, graduates will be able to:
- investigate and critically evaluate current practices and trends in design practice, strategy and management as they relate to social, cultural, economic and environmental contexts.
- conceptually and technically investigate, analyse and synthesise complex information, problems, concepts and theory and apply them through independent research and projects on design strategy and innovation.
- use research principles and methods and communication skills to justify and interpret theoretical propositions, methodologies, conclusions and outcomes to an industry standard.
- demonstrate critical thinking and evaluative judgement in planning, problem-solving and decision-making during design projects.
- synthesise and demonstrate the integration of design thinking, design management, strategy, systems.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Design Management
- Methods for Design Research
- Designing for Change
- Strategic Design Practice
- Design Futures
- Sustainable Systems Design
- Design Leadership
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Innovation Management View 80 other Masters in Design in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS code- 088125D
- Students with a recognised 3-year Bachelor qualification are eligible for entry into the Master of Design Strategy and Innovation.
International31200 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 31200 AUD per year and a duration of 18 months.
National26150 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 26150 AUD per year and a duration of 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.