Creative Writing and Literature from Stony Brook University also extends its emphasis beyond the familiar categories of creative expression to treat all forms of writing as equally relevant to understanding and mastering a world constructed out of words. Students are free to take workshops in all genres, in the belief that writing outside the lines informs their primary areas of interest.
Students at Creative Writing and Literature from Stony Brook University will be introduced to:
- the profession and discipline of writing
- the skills necessary to teach writing to others;
- advanced writing workshops in a variety of writing genres;
- Forms of Fiction
- Forms of Poetry
- Writing in Multiple Genres
- Forms of Creative Nonfiction
- Forms of Professional and Scientific Writing
- Advanced Writing Workshop
- Topics in Literature for Writers
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Our program accepts applications for admission on a rolling basis but to receive full consideration for admission apply by the mentioned date.
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature Linguistics View 758 other Masters in Literature in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants for the MFA program in Writing and Literature must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Letters of recommendation from three instructors or writing professionals familiar with your written work.
- A statement discussing your reasons for graduate study (1-2 pp, submitted with the online application)
- A writing sample consisting of up to 10 pages of poetry, single-spaced, or 30 pages of prose, double-spaced (submitted with the online application). Your name should appear on the writing sample.
- A single sheet listing your address, phone number, email address, and title(s) of submission(s).
- A copy of your résumé or c.v. (submitted with the online application)
International25626 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12813 USD per semester during 12 months.
National25626 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12813 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State13836 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6918 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.