The Philosophy graduate program’s signature style of pursuing these strengths involves engagement with and reflection on the history of philosophy. It also integrates our strengths with the study of ethics richly informed by a historical approach.
We understand Continental philosophy, feminist philosophy, and critical philosophy of race necessarily draw from multiple traditions, including analytic and American as well as Continental philosophy. Likewise, the field of ethics draws on multiple traditions, and the history of philosophy can be and is pursued by means of different problematics and diverse philosophical traditions. Graduate students at Pennsylvania State University are trained in multiple traditions, helping produce a new generation of diverse students who are philosophically “multilingual.”
Interdisciplinary study is also possible across the humanities, the social sciences, the arts, the natural sciences, and interdisciplinary programs such as Women's Studies and African American Studies. Doctoral minors are available in social thought and in literary theory, criticism, and aesthetics. Study abroad is possible as well, through exchange programs or individual arrangements with leading departments of philosophy.
- American Philosophy Seminar
- European Philosophy Seminar
- Ethics Seminar
- Social and Political Philosophy Seminar
- Seminar in Logic
- Aesthetic Seminar
- Feminist Philosophy Seminar
- Critical Philosophy of Race
- Ancient Philosophy Seminar
- Medieval Philosophy Seminar
- Modern Philosophy Seminar
- 19th-Century Philosophy Seminar
- 20th Century Philosophy Seminar
- Contemporary Philosophy Seminar
- Africana Philosophy
- Major Figures in Modern Philosophy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Liberal Arts Political Science View 367 other Masters in Political Science in United States
- Scores from the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE), or from a comparable substitute examination accepted by a graduate program and authorized by the dean of the Graduate School, are required for admission.
- Students with a 3.00 junior/senior grade-point average (on a 4.00 scale) and with appropriate course backgrounds will be considered for admission.
- The best-qualified applicants will be accepted up to the number of spaces that are available for new students. Exceptions to the minimum 3.00 GPA may be made for students with special backgrounds, abilities, and interests.
International39248 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39248 USD per year during 12 months.
National23082 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23082 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for University Park
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.